LOCATION: The Rocks, Sydney NSW 2000
Photography by Chris Court & William Meppem
The heritage precinct of Longs Lane is a cluster of historical shops, boutique accomodation and houses in The Rocks dating from 1855-1914, including the Butchers Shop built in 1881-1882. The interior redesign by Sibella Court was informed by the building's various uses from the 1880s, notably a shoppe and dwelling rented by German butcher Kellas Watson.
Utilitarian materials of zinc, leather, burlap and tallow wood one may have found in a butchers of that time period are woven amongst a palette inspired by the endemic Sydney landscape & objects common to the 1800s era; various colours from Sibella's paint collection Palimpsest are used throughout the rooms and hallways, an ode to forests of pink Angophora, Sydney peppermint, acacia and shades of ochre.
Design cues for lighting and furnishings are taken from typical fittings found in 19th century homes layered with contemporary finishes. Counterweight lights, picture rods and sisal stair runners sit comfortably amongst mixed material hardware and soft fabric lanterns by The Society inc, with linen curtains and painted canvas softening the executive office spaces.